For better or worse, my first academic year in Rome is over. So of course I must take a moment to analyze and self-assess (or obsess, depending on how well you know me). The first thing that comes to mind is, I must take a trip to Prague. After having spent the last five weeks studying the Czech Republic, the break-up of Czechoslovakia, and Eastern Europe in general. It's definitely one of those world affairs that gets glossed over in the US, unless you really try hard seek out news and information about it. Second, summer clubbing in Rome is absolutely fantastic if you have alot of money. Being able to listen to dope house music and dance until four in the morning, under the stars, on the beach of the mediterranean is bananas. But of course the reality is, if you do it more than twice in a month, you'll go broke. It's kind of like the fantasy island that Pinocchio gets swept away to, where all the boys turn into donkeys after having gorged themselves on the pleasures of life. Thirdly, my new favorite place in Italy is the island of Capri (yet another of the expensive tastes I was brought up to have yet can't afford, hehe). Capri is ridiculously beautiful, the boats that sail around capri are beautiful, the houses on capri are beautiful, and the people on capri are beautiful. As my boat pulled into the harbor at Capri, I seriously expected to hear Robin Leach's voice as if another episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous had begun. Sorrento and Capri are far and away my favorite places in Italy. Of course, I haven't been to that many places yet, but let's just say, so far they are the best. Lastly, I need to make a mention of the bombings in London...siamo tutti londinesi adesso.
The visitors and guests and section:
My friend Helen, from the first semester here in Rome, came back to Italy to visit Isabella and I. Apparently, the streets of Queens just couldn't compare to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast- go figure. I had a lovely dinner with my father's cousin (my first cousin once removed?) last week at one of my favorite restaurants in Rome, La Fraschetta. And finally, I'm starting my countdown to July 21: the day my mother arrives! I think this will be an especially interesting week in my life, given that I haven't seen her since December, Italy is a ver y different world compared to Southern California, and she has never been to Europe. I'm sure we will have a lot of fun. After our week in Rome together, Mom and I are off to good old Tampa to meet up with my pops and brothers. That is something I really can't wait for: crabcakes and beer, pizza and cheap red wine looking over the canals of Newport Richie with my dad and brothers. Yee-ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment