Today is Eva's one month birthday. I woke up happy, told her several times it was her birthday( though she can't understand the words I say and can barely see me), optimistically breastfed her (i have a waning milk supply apparently)and put her down for a morning nap- which she did so most dutifully. This one month old thing is starting out great, I thought to myself.
Two and half hours later she woke with little cries- nothing crazy- and I so checked on her. There was evidence a major diaper change needed as I felt her mushy diaper..and I was right. The poor kid had filled the diaper up with 'pupu liquida' (as the pampers package describes it). A baby bidet was necessary, so I did it, got through it ok as I introduced Eva to herself in the mirror while wiping the the poop off her bum. I got her dressed again and it was time to eat- and boy, did she eat. A 20 minute breastfeeding session, 100ml of formula, and then she cried for more with her beguilingly cute frown and her little chicken looking rooting reflex. I didn't have the heart to deny her anything on her birthday so I made her a bit more formula. She didn't drink too much of it but it did the trick and soon we were off into staring-contest-land where we stare into each other's big blue eyes and wonder what the other is thinking. Actually, I know Eva is not thinking anything. Babies don't have thoughts at this age, they don't have a sense of self, nor do they know who the people are that are taking care of them, i.e. mom and dad. In any case, during our staring contest, strange sounds erupted from below and I knew there would be yet another liquid brown present waiting for me at the next diaper change. I took Eva in to change her- she was her normal docile self when she makes a big poop, waiting patiently to be finished with the change, sometimes trying to stick her foot in it. I was so pleased with her that I wrapped her up in a blanket afterward and bounced her to sing happy birthday. The next thing I know that extra milk I could not bear not giving her was spewing out of her mouth and nose Exorcist-style. It scared the hell out of me to something come out of my little alien's nose. I took her to the bathroom for the second baby bath- it wasn't even 1pm.
Note to self: no over zealous bouncing after over zealous feeding sessions.
It is now 2:30pm and Eva has finally fallen asleep, I can now wash the smelly baby barf off me and eat some lunch an ponder my terrible mothering skills. Happy 1 Month Birthday, Eva.
No comments:
Post a Comment