Monday, May 21, 2012
on the 60 to villa paganini
today was not the first time you'd been on the bus, but it was the first time that you were aware enough not to like it. the last 24 hours with you has been dramatic: you fell and skinned your knee at the park yesterday and then made a scene at a restaurant last night that prompted daddy to tell us we had to go home, i hadn't even eaten yet; this morning you and daddy were not too sure of each other...so i thought a nice bus ride in which we sang the 'wheels on the bus' would brighten up your spirits but alas it did not. you sat on my lap the first few minutes silent, observing (i took this as awed entertained silence) but when i asked if you liked the bus you replied, 'NO. No like the bus!' the last two words turning up into a screeching yelling noise. I started to sing and you calmed down but remained silent. At one point we had slid down in the seat so much I sat up and readjusted us and our bags, which coincided with a bus stop: the doors opened and you gave a loud and genuine 'YAY!' and clapped your hands. No on on the bus was amused or looked at you (maybe that was the real offense)and I didn't stand up to get off the bus, so you were dejected and let out a little whimper. I told you that we'd be there soon. The sun beat in to the bus onto our arms and faces, on this, one of the first warm days of spring. You said to me, 'pickey up' but being on the bus, I couldn't, so you nuzzled into my chest to avoid the sun from the window and fought sleep for the next ten minutes. We got to our bus stop and got off the bus. You immediately started singing when we got out on to the street (a sign that you are tranquilla and serena)and we started to walk, (or rather I started to walk). I asked you several times if you wanted to get down or hold hands but you shot me down every time until we got to the park. My arms and back are still exhausted. The park, Villa Paganini, was beautiful. I have passed it everyday on the bus since Daddy and I have been together and always wanted to go there. Since you came along, i have admired the slides, swings, and climbing toys always wondering when I'd get to take you there. though the trek to get to the park was not simple, you thoroughly enjoyed yourself. there was a little pond with an island and a bridge going to the island. the toys were no match for the bridge: we went over the bridge at least ten times. each time you got a little more daring, not holding my hand or the railing, or running down each steep side. there were pigeons galore to chase, dogs to watch and other children to avoid (you seem to have an aversion to children your age or smaller than you). and then after a bit, magically, daddy and nonno showed up. and so, there we were: your three parents. on this sunny beautiful day, you romped in the grass with nonno, tried to chase some pigeons on your own and observed the other children around you, never getting too close. i hope we'll get to go again soon, since nice parks are so few and far between in Rome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment