Until today I had never been to the American Embassy in Rome. thankfully i had no reason to go there- i.e. no lost/stolen passport. Though, I must say, I wouldn't turn down a job if they begged me to come.
I went to the embassy, checkbook in hand (I had read that the fee for citizenship is $460!), forms filled out and with two 2x2 photos of a little person with blue eyes and light brown hair who somewhat resembles me. I went to apply for Eva's American citizenship. I expected (and strangely looked forward to) a little island of americana (men with kakhi pants, polo shirts, and blackberries on their hips, people with American coffee breath)removed from the reckless roman driving and glitzy hotels and cafes of Via Venteto inside those great walls; and it started out that way: I had to take off my shoes and go through a metal detector before they let me in. But I can tell you now though, that I did not speak to one American (not that there is anything wrong with that (Seinfeld anyone?))and the forms I had filled out were all wrong and whole new set of forms was given to me. When I finally finished getting the information I needed I went back to security to pick up my cell phone and ipod (such things are not allowed in the embassy)and what do you know, both security guards were on their cell phones! I had certainly never left Italy.
Little Eva will have to wait just a little longer for her blue passport with the birdy on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment